Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wordless Wednesday: Charleston is purty

Here are some random photos of my quickie Saturday trip to Charleston; I couldn't readily remember the last time I was there. We endured ungodly temperatures by 11am, and I just wilted slowly, the rest of the day... but I still remembered to tell everybody about the radio show!

Accordingly, starting off with Spanish moss, which mostly disappears by the time you get to Columbia, so we don't have any in the upstate. Boo. :( I love it!

And we were also lucky enough to have a historian in our midst, who educated us about MARYVILLE (see historic landmark), which I am shocked to discover does not even rate its own Wikipedia page. I did find one reference to Mary Mathews Just (for whom the village was named) in her famous son's obituary. Maryville was a black township founded in 1885, which had its charter revoked, poof. No town for you! (You didn't think they were going to let freed slaves do that during Jim Crow, did you?) I would like to read a historic account of the events leading up to this amazing, radically white-supermacist act (I smell kkk), but it is difficult (impossible) to find one not peppered with racist excuses. What really happened? Will we ever know?

Maryville is not even mentioned in Charleston's Wikipedia entry.

Emanuel A.M.E. church in the Maryville neighborhood, stands where the historic marker is now, and was founded in 1885.

The last photo is the interior of The Mellow Mushroom, pizza to die for throughout the southeast! (commercial) I've been to them all over, from Athens to Asheville, and no two restaurants look the same.

You can click to enlarge. Have a great Wednesday!

~*~




>