Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Swamp Rabbit Trail

This section of Greenville County's Swamp Rabbit Trail runs along the Reedy River, right into the heart of downtown Greenville, South Carolina. The full 13-mile trail is actually a collection of smaller trails, only recently formally connected. I have been hiking the McDaniel section of the trail into (what is now) Reedy River Falls Park, since I first came to Greenville decades ago. I thought I would share the trail with you, which ends up at the bridge behind the West End Market (next-to-last photo, below). You can also take another section of this trail up to Liberty Bridge and the Reedy River Falls, which I also love to do. This trail is one of my favorite spots in the world!

Check out photo #5, where you can see the kudzu climbing the hill and shimmying up the tree. Also, in photo #9, you can see it has totally colonized the hill! It's a real challenge for city employees to beat it back. (In photo #15, note how it has covered both sides of the stone-steps/embankment.)

Photo #6 is a memorial for Major Rudolf Anderson, Greenville native and the only casualty of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I took these photos back in June, when it was so hot, I felt just like a swamp rabbit. :)

~*~