Sunday, September 7, 2008

Dead Air Church - I'll be your mirror

If you've never seen Nan Goldin's collection of photographs by the same name, it would serve you well to find them. They are perfectly joined to this song, in my mind. Once you see them, they will be forever connected in your head also. She is amazingly talented.

If you've never seen the movie loosely based on Goldin's life (High Art), please check that out too. Wikipedia says the photos in the movie were based on Goldin's, not really commenting directly on the story itself. (Ally Sheedy, Patricia Clarkson and Radha Mitchell are all quite outstanding as the lead trio!) I've seen the movie maybe, what, a dozen times? (Trailer included below.) I always get something new out of it every time. If you have ever been emotionally involved with an addict (as lover OR friend) this is required viewing; consider it as important as your reading list about co-dependency. (Nan Goldin's first showing/book of photos was titled The Ballad of Sexual Dependency, not surprisingly.)

The lyrics of this song (by Lou Reed) are childlike, sweet, and filled with love. This is what Lou felt for Nico. We know that Nico's life was often tortured and unpleasant, may her soul rest in peace. (Also recommended: Nico Icon) Hers was not a happy life.

Although we can reflect those we love, it is no guarantee they will see themselves as we see them. All we have is our attempt to show them what we see. This song reflects that aching desire, so perfectly.

The desire to be the light on the door, to show that they're home.


~*~

I'll be your mirror
Reflect what you are
in case you don't know
I'll be the wind, the rain and the sunset
The light on your door
to show that you're home

When you think the night has seen your mind
That inside you're twisted and unkind
Let me stand to show that you are blind
Please put down your hands
cause I see you

I find it hard to believe you don't know
The beauty that you are
But if you don't let me be your eyes
A hand in your darkness
so you won't be afraid

When you think the night has seen your mind
That inside you're twisted and unkind
Let me stand to show that you are blind
Please put down your hands
cause I see you

I'll be your mirror


~*~

The Velvet Underground & Nico - I'll be your mirror

[via FoxyTunes / The Velvet Underground]



Trailer - High Art (1998)