Friday, August 22, 2008

LeRoi Moore 1961-2008

Left: LeRoi Moore, photo from A Choice of Weapons.

~*~

LeRoi Moore, saxophonist and founding member of the Dave Matthews Band, has died unexpectedly from complications of an all-terrain vehicle accident. He was 46.

He also co-wrote a song of cosmic truth, that I periodically meditate on, Too Much.



In Memoriam: LeRoi Moore

Moore and Matthews first teamed up in 1991 in Charlottesville, VA. After pulling together the rest of the band, they released the album Remember Two Things. Seven studio albums later, the Dave Matthews Band has become one of the most popular bands in America. Moore brought jazz and blues influences to the band's easygoing jam-rock sound: From the deep rumble on “Bartender” from the Lilywhite Sessions, to the high-pitched bounce of the tenor notes in “Stay,” Moore brought both life and a playful sensibility to his music.

Moore was one of the less vocal members of the group, preferring to eschew the spotlight. Back in 2001, Dave Matthews spoke with Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman, and said of Moore, “He's a tortured soul, but man, when he plays, he plays the most pretty melodies in the world, instantly. And LeRoi plays melodies that are brand new that sound as if he's been playing them forever.”

The band announced Moore's passing at their show last night at L.A.'s Staples Center, with Matthews saying, “It’s easier to leave than to be left.”
Our deepest Dead Air condolences go out to the family and friends of LeRoi.

And like the song says--

I told God, I'm coming
To your country
I'm going to eat up your cities,
Your homes, you know
I've got a stomach full it's not
A chip on my shoulder
I've got this growl in my tummy
And I'm gonna stop it today

I eat too much
I drink too much
I want too much
Too much


Ohhhhhh, me too. But I am sure God respects the fact that we admit it, fight it, try to deal with it... and attempt to work with this fact any way we can. LeRoi brought the fact home, pointing the finger at himself and all of us, all while wailing on the sax.

Resquiat in pace.


More at the Dave Matthews Band website.